There are several sensitive areas, which a user should take into consideration while selecting a web host:
1. Disk space
3. Scripts and utilities
4. Dedicated/Shared servers
5. Customers service/Support
8. Free Hosting Providers
1. Disk Space: It denotes space provided by the host to the user in which he/she can locate his/her web site. It can ranges from 25MB to GBs to store all the essential requirements of the user. One can easily calculate storage space if his/her site is already constructed by considering all the aspects. This is the least requirement by the user. For sure success one should go for a plan having additional resources in comparison to user’s current requirement.
2. Bandwidth: One of the crucial parts to verify is regarding bandwidth. There are several sites, which loose their host due to excessive downloads causing budget going beyond their expectations. Occasionally, host even charges in hundreds of dollars for the additional bandwidth. One should confirm about this before dealing with any of the host. Usually, ideal-hosting providers deliver initial bandwidth of 25 to 50 GB to the users.
3. Scripts and Utilities: Does one’s priority is dynamic information related to his/her products and services? If the answer is yes! Then user’s plan should include a database tool. One cannot deny the fact that, Databases are extremely multitalented and will change according to the operating system, which the user chooses for his/her hosting server.
If one talks about further famous scripts it usually includes chat rooms, forums, blogs, and calendar programs and help desk software. Such scripts, which come along with user’s hosting plan, are pre-configured by the service host so that user can properly work on their server. There are several hosts which even propose the Fantastico script package known to be the combination of 36 different free scripts which a user can easily install to his/her website.
Next thing to consider is the 3rd party script. These are those scripts which are available on the net to purchase and one can easily install to his/her website. One should note that there are only few of the scripts, which one can run on both the operating systems i.e. Windows and Linux; however, others are meant for only one operating system to be used.
4. Dedicated or Shared Servers: If one talks about the key difference between a dedicated and shared server then it is that there are several sites present on a shared server, however, there is only one website in case of a dedicated server.
Through a shared server one can save a high amount. If one talks about the drawbacks then Spamming and blacklisting from different search engines are the key problems. Such problems arise due to the reason that several sites are assign to one particular IP address. One should demand for a separate IP address for his/her website (on additional monthly charges) to secure the user from such problems.
Dedicated servers are considered best for big, highly trafficked websites, which requires large amounts of server resources to run. One of the negative points of dedicated server is that the server’s resources are divided across all the sites it’s hosting and answering page requests for. Thus, if one is working in a dedicated environment he/she always has to keep an eye on his/her resources. Another disadvantage is that dedicated servers costs around $50 per month or even more whereas shared hosting can be purchased for mere 5$ a month.
5. Support system: Another important aspect to consider is support. What is host’s response time? Does their phone support is 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.
Additional features one should verify for:
Is there POP email account, if yes, then how many?
What no. Of database is there?
Is there Web based e-mail with the host?
Does they provide Anti-Spam and Anti-Virus filters?
Do they provide the facility of Password Protected to user’s directories?
Is their frequent backup if by chance crash in server takes place?
Does user get some money return back, if he/she is dissatisfied with services?
Does there is assistance for Perl, PHP, Crontab and Secure Server Layer?
There are several good hosting providers in the market, who known for their rapid response and numerous amounts of other excellent qualities for reasonable price.
Hence, one should before choosing should keep in mind the above-mentioned points, which can prevent the user from unexpected future problems.
6. Uptime and Dependability: Another influential factor. Is there any performance guarantee provided by the host? Can user expect a refund if he/she is suffering from downtime form a very long period? Is there any money back guarantee in the contract? There are several hosts in the market who refund full or partial amount of monthly fees (excluding spamming or other illegal activity) if user is dissatisfied with their service quality and want to quit their service option.
7. Price: In general one will get hosting service between the ranges of $5.00 – $10.00 dollars a month; it may very according to features provided. Service below $5.00 a month is quite awful in usual sense. Similarly, any service above $12.00 a month can provide not only a package of awesome features but probably can also include a complimentary domain name; a unique offer not provided by everyone.
8. Free Hosting Providers: In today’s market one can enjoy website hosting at quite nominal amount. Hence, there is nothing worthwhile in going for a free web hosting; as there is nothing free as it seems like.
One can end the search on an ideal host by thinking ahead. One should purchase as much possible bandwidth and disk space at the most reasonable price he/she can. One should know that every website requires room to groom which user needs to deliver without any form of much risk.